Just a little sidetracked

  • We've had a s***load of snow today, very unusual for where I live. If you've been reading along you know I am not happy with snow, because I can't bike and have to walk, and walking hurts. So I'm really not happy. Of course I can take the car (carefully). But I can't take Border Collie out by car, so...I have to walk. And I can't walk Horse by car, so...I have to walk.
  • And speaking of Horse...the worst weather in possibly years, snow coming down at several inches an hour, huge traffic jams, roads closed, accidents everywhere, and: she colics. At first I wasn't sure, because horses often paw at snow, so pawing as a sign of colic was unclear. But back in her stall, she lay down. Not normal. Alarm bells in my head. A minute later, she stood up again. I said out loud to her, "if you're sick, it's ok, but you have to tell someone so we can help you." A few seconds later, she lay down again.
    Anyone with a horse knows that colic is an emergency. Colic can be caused by a number of things, and depending on the cause, the horse can be very seriously ill very quickly and in some cases it won't survive. And there we were with the snow and the traffic jams, the closed roads and the accidents. The standard procedure is to walk the horse and call the vet ASAP. We walked her, with breaks when she got tired (snow was about two feet by then).
    To make a very long story short, at one point there were three vets on the way from three different clinics in three different towns (yes, they all knew there were three on the way). The one that made it first took two hours to get here, and in the meantime Horse was regularly lying on her side, breathing heavily, eyes half closed, exhausted and in pain. My first horse (Horse is the second one) died of colic, so this is when I really started to worry. The examination showed that she had a lot of pain, but that this form of colic would probably be fine after an injection of something to relax the intestines, and something for the pain. After the injection she felt a lot better. I stuck around cleaning up, making sure she was warm enough etc., and then dug out my car. The people at the farm would keep an eye on her for the next few hours while I went home to warm up and have something to eat. Now, six and a half hours later, the medication will have worn off, and the people at the farm haven't called to say she was still ill (they are trustworthy), so I can go to bed. Pfff. Looking forward to seeing her tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment